Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Moscow

Arrived in Moscow on Saturday, June 6th. My parents took us out for "Ethnic" food, which in Russia means food from Uzbekistan. The baked rabbit and sliced horse flesh was excellent, so was my Siberian beer. Toured the Kremlin and Red Square on Sunday, and started work with the four Sunghir crania at the Laboratory of Anthropological Reconstruction on Monday. Erik Trinkaus is currently working on a comprehensive project on the Sunghir material, and has been helping me out while in Moscow (a lot). The highlight so far has been Erik letting me reconstruct a couple of broken Sunghir mandibles, a pretty simple task, but it's not everyday that you get to fix something 26,000 years old. The lab is small and cozy, and the staff are really nice and helpful, our conversations at tea time are always fun with various people translating in English, French, and Russian. I was actually able to have my Birthday with my parents for the first time in several years, I only had to travel to Russia to make it happen. As usual, Tressa made an awesome birthday cheesecake for me, which is pretty impressive considering she had to shop for ingredients in Cyrillic (crazy Russian alphabet).

No comments:

Post a Comment